2. Feigin V, Roth G, Naghavi M, et al: Global burden of stroke and risk factors in 188 countries, during 1990-2013. Lancet Neurology 2016;June 9th.
3. Loprinzi P, Branscum A, Hanks J, et al: Healthy lifestyle characteristics and their joint association with cardiovascular disease biomarkers in US adults. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2016;91:432-442.
4. Akesson A, Larsson S, Discacciati A, et al: Low-risk diet and lifestyle habits in the primary prevention of myocardial infarction in men. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2014;64:1299-1306.
5. Larsson S, Akesson A, Wolk A: Healthy diet and lifestyle and risk of stroke in a prospective cohort of women. Neurology 2014;October 8th.
6. Chomistek A, Chiuve S, Eliassen A, et al: Healthy lifestyle in the primordial prevention of cardiovascular disease among young women. Journal of the College of Cardiology 2015;65(1):43-51.
7. Du H, Li L, Bennett D, et al: Fresh fruit consumption and major cardiovascular disease in China. New England Journal of Medicine 2016;374:1332-1343.
8. Buil-Cosiales P, Toledo E, Salas-Salvado J, et al: Association between dietary fibre intake and fruit, vegetable, or whole grain consumption and the risk of CVD. British Journal of Nutrition 2016; June 6:1-13.
9. Miedema M, Petrone A, Shikany J, et al: The association of fruit and vegetable consumption during early adulthood with the prevalence of coronary artery disease after 20 years of follow-up: The CARDIA Study. Circulation 2015; October 26th.
10. DelGobbo L, Imamura F, Aslibekyan S, et al: Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid biomarkers and coronary heart disease. JAMA Internal Medicine 2016;June 27th.
11. Marklund M, Leander K, Vikstrom M, et al: Polyunsaturated fat intake estimated by circulating biomarkers and risk of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in a population-based cohort of 60-year-old men and women. Circulation 2016;132:586-594.
12. Li Y, Hruby A, Bernstein A, et al: Saturated fats and sources of carbohydrates in relation to risk of coronary heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2015; 66 (14):1538.
13. Grover S, Kaouache M, Rempel P, et al: Years of life lost and healthy life-years lost from diabetes and cardiovascular disease in overweight and obese people. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinology 2014;December 4th.
14. Gopinath B, Flood V, Kifley A, et al: Association between carbohydrate nutrition and successful aging over 10 years. Journal of Gerontology 2016;June 1st.
15. Chen G, Tong X, Xu J, et al: Whole grain intake and total, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2016;104:164-172.
16. Bernstein A, Titgermeier B, Kirkpatrick K, et al: Major cereal grain fibers and psyllium in relation to cardiovascular health. Nutrients 2013;5:1471-1487.
17. American Heart Association’s diet guidelines: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp#.V4aqbJBTHiM